Friday, October 7, 2016

BLOG #2

       This week at Natchuag Elementary school we started off by helping the students with homework as usual. This little boy, named Jose, wanted me to help him with his reading log. I told him about how I used to have to do the same thing when I was his age. I helped him read a couple of books to put in his log. When we started reading it took a long time because he is just learning how to read. Each word he would sound out and try to put all the sounds together. It taught me that patience is key to helping him. As he started struggling I waited a little to see if he could do it on his own and then helped him if he really needed it. He was so excited after we got through one full book that he read himself. After his group went outside for recess we helped another group of students with their homework. These were the older students. My friend Ali and I helped this one boy count up numbers for his behavior worksheet. It was interesting to see how some of the students homework was different than what it was when we were in elementary school. Although they were learning similar things such as long division, they were taught it differently. Instead of long division they were using circles and rectangles.
       The articles about the common core we have been reading about are interesting. I do believe there should be a common core however I’m interested in how that works with pubic schools versus private schools. It is good for students that there is no advantages for anyone when people go to college and also teachers can teach their lessons anyway they want. It could help them with lesson planning and they can be creative with it. It also keeps the progression of the learning curve constant among all grades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment