Thursday, September 22, 2016

FIELD EXPERIENCE

Today was my first day going to Natchuag's after school program for my field experience. Just from seeing the outside of the school I knew it was completely different than my elementary school from back home. My group was greeted by so many smiling faces and waving hands. We started off by helping the students with their homework. I noticed some of the students were having a hard time with their work but didn't hesitate to ask for help. In fact, some actually jumped on us and asked for help. I read book after book for a couple students and they absolutely loved it. Then, we were split into groups and did activities in the gym. What I learned from that is how to transition from different activities and how to keep the students engaged in them. I'm excited to see the children again next Thursday!

In regards to the article about the best teachers, I can relate, but I also had experiences with "bad" teachers. The teachers that I considered good teachers were ones that were willing to stay after class with students to help them and also assist them after school as well. My psychology teacher did everything he could to help me be successful in his class. On the other hand, I have had teachers not put in any effort to help me in class. They did not explain the material well and they made me feel dumb when I asked a question. Although I struggled through their class I now know how I will not be as a teacher. I want to make sure all of my students understand the material and if not I will do what I can to help them learn it if it means staying after class with them or helping them step by step with problems until they grasp it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment